I really didn’t know what to expect, what kind of room we were going to go in, who would be there or anything, but I was very excited. First time for me to be in these kind of meetings!
The building that we went into is called the Eisenhower Building, it’s right by the White House and it’s were they do all the official press releases. I loved looking at the architecture, in fact I loved looking at the architecture in the whole city, I loved Washington.
One of the things that I wasn’t expecting at all is that The White House is very social media friendly, they even had a flyer with the handles to follow and hashtags to use in Twitter during our briefing. @LaCasaBlanca @TheWhiteHouse #latismatthewh
The briefing covered a range of latino issues mostly involving Health and Education. Each of the speakers gave a brief speech of what’s going on and then we had plenty of time to ask questions. There was a long line of blogueras waiting to ask their questions! I felt proud to be in the group and mostly we felt they are listening. They even made a post on their site about our visit and lots of our tweets were included!
By participating in this visit and in the whole Retreat experience I definitely learned to grow my advocate side and to use my voice here in the blog to help more, this visit confirmed that our voices are strong and that many people out there are listening.
Below I leave you with a list of some of the programs they talked about, some of them I’ve heard about before but didn’t really know much and maybe you have heard about them too. So here you can find out more, subscribe to their newsletters and get more involved. There is a lot of great info!
- Let’s Move Initiative. Helping children be more active everyday and fight against high child obbesity, this program was started by Michelle Obama.
- Choose My Plate. A replacement of the traditional Food Pyramid which is more attractive ans useful and helps families and kids eat more balanced meals.
- A Healthier America. The Private sector partners with the Let’s Move Initiative. **One thing they told us about this is that there will be summer activities available for kids at a very low rate or FREE, they have an excellent search tool, click HERE**
- ¡A Moverse! (Let’s Move). Ayuda a combatir niveles altos de obesidad infantil por medio de más actividad física, es un programa realizado por Michelle Obama.
- Mi Plato (Choose My Plate). Es un cambio a la pirámide de alimentos antigua para ayudar a una alimentación más balanceada en la familia
- Una América más saludable (A Healthier America). El sector privado se une también al programa Let’s Move. **Aquí hay algo super chévere para buscar programas vacacionales gratis y/o a bajo precio este verano, vayan AQUI**
Y si están insteresados en leer los posts de las otras blogueras y el de La Casa Blanca, aquí están:
- Los posts oficiales de LATISM con links a los de las Top Blogueras aquí y aquí.
- El post de La Casa Blanca acerca de nuestra visita.
The New Diplomat's WifeJune 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm
welcome to washington, what a fantastic experience!
DarielaJune 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm
Thanks!! I definitely want to come back!
Tracy / Latinaish.comJune 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm
Excellent post, amiga. It was so great to see you again but I wish we had more time together.
Thanks for including some of my photos. Completely honored that you found them worthy 🙂
ElviraJune 2, 2012 at 1:54 am
Realmente fantastico que experiencia tuvo que ser. Felicidades por este privilegio.